DCGS Website


Monday, April 3, 2017

John M. Richolt - Bishop Post, G.A.R.

(Thanks to guest blogger, Joanne Allison, for contributing much of the information for this post.)

Born in 1836, John Martin Richolt was enumerated with his parents as a teenager living on a farm in Richland Township.  His parents, Frederick and Margaret, were immigrants from Germany, and he had an older brother, Frederick, and two younger siblings, Jacob and Caroline.  All the children were born in Ohio.

John joined Company K, 2nd Ohio Cavalry on November 14, 1862, for a three year term.  He was promoted to Sergeant along the way.  By 1863, the 2nd Ohio was made into the 25th Battery Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery.  According to one source, this unit marched 27,000 miles during its service through Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia and Indian Territory. 

They served with five different armies and fought in 97 battles, according to the Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1865.  They were definitely one of the most traveled units in the war.

When John returned from the war, he married Pauline Wilhelmina Koenig (King) on September 27, 1866, in one of the Lutheran churches in Defiance.  Rev. Detzer officiated.

According to the Defiance city directories, John worked as a store clerk at least part of the time.  He was also an active member of the G.A.R., serving as quartermaster.  Unfortunately, he died of pneumonia at the age of 47 years, 9 months and 6 days.  

Defiance Democrat - June 12, 1884

 John and Pauline had eight children.  Albert Richolt (m. Catherine Huckaby), George Richolt (died at 23, single), Clarence William (m. Mary Effie Dollarhide), Emma Dor Richolt (d. 1936), Henry Elmer Richolt (died in Texas, 1933), Cora Caroline and Laura - twins who died as infants, and Nettie Richolt (m. Corwin Tillman).

Pauline, herself, died in 1936, and is buried in Riverside Cemetery with John.

  (This is part of a series on Civil War veterans of Defiance County who were part of the G.A.R., Bishop Post, that headquartered in the city.  Formed in 1879, the post was named after a local man, Captain William Bishop, Company D, 100th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Army who died as a result of wounds received in battle.  The veterans' photos are part of a composite photo of members that has survived.  If you have other information or corrections to add to the soldiers' stories, please add to the comments!)

No comments:

Post a Comment