DCGS Website

VISIT THE WEBSITE OF THE DEFIANCE COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
http://defiancecountygenealogy.org/

Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Hicksville Fats - Play Ball!

Now, this might be some good entertainment...

"HICKSVILLE FATS

The Heavy-Weights of the West End Wish to Play Ball

A fat men's ball club has been organized in the neighboring town of Hicksville, and the gentlemen of rotund proportions are looking for trouble.  The combined weight of the club is something over a ton and they wish to play an organization composed of fat men in this city of equal weight.

They have boldly issued the defi.

All communications in regard to this heavy-weight contest should be addressed to the sporting editor of the Hicksville News, and the conditions can be arranged.

Here is a chance for James Kitchel, Sam Starr, Dan Shea, B. F. Enos, Billy Myers, Tom Ansberry, Chris. Diehl Jr., August Gottwald and Isaac Bourbonis to distinguish themselves."

And they named names!  

Defiance Democrat, July 18, 1895 
 

Thursday, June 25, 2015

A History of St. John's Catholic Church, Defiance, Ohio

This history appeared in the Defiance Democrat with information on the laying of the cornerstone at St. John's Catholic Church in May, 1895.

"St. Johns congregation was organized in 1841.  At that time, few families comprised the membership of the Catholic church of this city.  They had no building to worship in and met at the homes of the members.  The records show that mass was held at the residence of Frank Weisenberger and at Mr. Fitzpatrick's and Mr. Colwell's.

Father Rappe was the priest and was a zealous teacher.  As St. John's church flourished, so did Rev. Rappe and he was later made First Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland.  In 1845, Rev. Rappe concluded the congregation had grown sufficiently large to feel the need of a place of worship and the first church, a wooden structure, was built and did duty for a number of years.  This building still stands on Fifth street near the present church and is at present, used as a school building.

The building was regarded as a fine one in those days and the members were proud of it indeed.  The congregation when organized, comprised the following: The families of Frank Weisenberger and Mr. Fitzpatrick, Adam Wilhelm, Joseph Grossell, Joseph and Michael Decker, two young men by the names of Downs and Colwell, Miss Barbara Eckhart and two servant girls whose names do not appear.

Father Rappe was succeeded by Father DeGroesbriant in 1847 and his pastorate continued until 1849.  Father Foley was the next pastor coming from Toledo.  After him came Father Sonner in 1850, and he was succeeded by Father Filliere, who resided here.  Defiance was then made the center of a mission having a resident priest.  The congregation then numbered 15 families and the city had 850 inhabitants.

Father Filliere remained here until 1852 when the records show the Wabash railroad was built. From 1852 to 1855, the Fathers of the Priests of Precious Blood, of Minster, Auglaize county, attended.  On June 5th, 1855, a priest was once more sent here in the person of Father Westerholt, who resided here.

The congregation increased rapidly and soon the church was deemed too small to meet the requirements and the matter of building a new one was discussed and met with favor.  In 1856, the present brick building was built in which the congregation  has worshipped since.  Father Westerholt stayed until June, 1858.  At that time, the congregation numbered 50 families and was in a flourishing condition.  

Father Hoeffel assumed the duties of priest and had charge until January, 1868, when he went to Delphos.  Rev. Rudolph came next and he remained pastor until August, 1869, on which date Father Viere succeeded him.

In 1870, the Sisters of St. Agnes came and established a school, organized it and took charge and it is still being conducted by the Sisters.

1873 marked an important era in the history of the church when the membership was divided into two congregations, the German and the English.  Father Mazarette was the pastor for the English congregation.

In 1873, the priest residence was built and is now in use.  In September, 1878, Father J. B. Jung relieved Father Viere and was succeeded by Father Gloden, the present pastor in November 1891.  Father Jung was in delicate health for some time before he resigned and visited his old home in Switzerland with a view of becoming stronger.  He returned and appeared some better for a time, but decided to again visit the continent.  He sailed in October 1891, bidding farewell to the members of his charge and they never more beheld the loved face of their pastor.  He died in Switzerland, the home of his birth, in December of the same year.

St. John's congregation now numbers 138 families and is one of the largest in this section."

According to the newspapers, these pioneer members of the congregation of 1845 were still living in 1895: Adam Wilhelm, Joseph Grosell and wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Eck, G. M. Weisenberger and wife, John Crowe, Mrs. Joseph Haller and Mrs. Eliza Ausberry.

 

 

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Rev. Joseph Peter Gloden, St. John's Catholic Church, Defiance, OH

"Sketch of Father Gloden.

Rev. Joseph Peter Gloden was born at Remerschen, Grand Duchey of Luxemburg, Jan. 12, 1842.  He attended St. Augustine college at Ritch, France, and subsequently came to America. He studied philosophy at the seminary at Metz, and studied theology at St. Mary's seminary at Cleveland, from 1866 to 1869.  He was ordained priest September 30, 1869, by Bishop Rappe, at Cleveland.

His first charge was at St. Peters at Cleveland, which position he held for seven months.  He then resigned and went to Europe on account of failing health and stayed one year.




When he returned in 1871, he was assigned the pastorate at St. Nicholas church at Burwick, Seneca county, Ohio, where he remained until 1886.  While he was at Burwick, he also had charge of a congregation at Carey, O. and built a new church in Burwick.

In 1886, he went to Fostoria and entered upon his duties as pastor of St. John's church.  In May, 1891, he was transferred to Randolph, O.  He remained there until he was assigned charge of St. John's church in the city, in November 1891.  Mr. Gloden is a pleasant and agreeable gentleman and is well liked by his congregation and all who know him."

Defiance Democrat, May 30, 1895

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Laying of the Cornerstone at St. John's Catholic Church, Defiance - 1895

St. John's Catholic Church - photo and article from the Defiance Democrat, May 30, 1895

It was a heavily overcast Sunday morning with drizzle and light rain showers by 9:00 a.m., but then the sun broke through to leave a beautiful day for the consecration of the NEW St. John's Catholic Church.  It was quite an event for the area, as this article will describe. Maybe one of your ancestors was there!






 "IMPOSING CEREMONIES
LAYING OF THE CORNERSTONE
FOUNDATION OF ST. JOHN'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
Consecrated to Divine Worship Sunday.
The Parade a Grand Demonstration of Civic Bodies.
  Thousands of People from the Surrounding Country Assist in Making the Event One of the Most Memorable in Church History of Defiance.

...The attendance at the corner stone laying was very large, estimated at five thousand people - and it no doubt would have been larger if many from a distance had not been discouraged from attending by the ominous appearance of the weather in the morning.
Trains consisting of many coaches came in over the railroads, bringing thousands to witness the laying of the corner stone for what will be, when completed, one of the largest and finest church structures in this part of the country.

The celebration of St. John's Golden Jubilee commenced at 9 a.m. by solemn High Mass at the church.  The room was crowded and the exercises were impressive indeed.  The sermon was by Father Westerholt, a former pastor, who spoke in German of the history of the church.  Father Westerholt was priest when the present church was built and is very familiar with the history of the congregation.

Bishop Horstman was present and made an address in English.  He complimented the choir on the fine music rendered during the services and spoke words of wisdom to Father Gloden and his congregation.  The Bishop was a fluent speaker and his words abounded with wisdom...

The services of laying the corner stone and invoking divine blessing on the foundation of the building was conducted by Rt. Rev. Bishop Horstman, of Cleveland, who was ably assisted by Rev. Joseph P. Gloden, Rev. M. P. Kinkead of St. Mary's church, Rev. Peter Holfeltz, Rev. W. S. Kress, Rev. Relbaaddt, Rev. Nigsch, Rev. Tapas, Rev. Hoeffel and Rev. M. F. Walz.

At the appointed hour the ceremonies were commenced by an invocation service at a cross raised upon a platform on the foundation for the altar and sanctuary.  From this point, they proceeded to the northeast corner of the building, where the corner stone was in position to be lowered to its final resting place...
In the lower side of the stone was chiseled a cavity of ample dimensions for admitting a large tin box, and when the time arrived, the box was placed in position before lowering the stone over it. 

The contents of the box consisted of church documents of the corner stone laying, a copy of the Catholic Universe of Cleveland, the Herold, of Defiance, a copy of last Saturday evening's News, and copies of other daily papers of the city.  The face of the stone was inscribed: 'St. John's Evg. Church, Defiance, O., May 26 A.D. 1895' and diagonally across the front, in the center of the lettering, was a large cross, bearing upon it the initial letters, 'I. H. S."

After the stone was in position, the Bishop and assistant priests, under escort of the uniformed Catholic Knights of America, of Defiance, walked around the foundation of the entire building and the Bishop conferred upon it a sacred blessing."

The Herold mentioned above was Defiance's German language newspaper, and the News was another Defiance paper.  After the blessing of the building, the speakers gathered on a platform and addressed the audience from there, some in German and some in English. When the speakers were finished, the congregation knelt for a benediction.  Then on Monday afternoon, the ceremonies continued with the blessing of the bells for the church.

"Monday morning solemn high mass was observed at the church at 9 o'clock, and in the afternoon, the two new bells were consecrated by Rt. Rev. Bishop Horstman with appropriate services.  The following is a brief description of the bells:

The large one weighs 1,700 pounds and has been named St. John.  Its tone is F and the inscription is 'Donated by St. Johns Dramatic Club in memory of the 50th anniversary of St. John's congregation of Defiance, O., established 1845 by Rev. Amadeus Rappe.'

The second bell weighs 1,200 pounds and is named St. Joseph and its tone is G.  The inscription is 'Donated by St. Johns School Children in memory of the 25th anniversary of the ordination of Rev. Joseph P. Gloden, ordained priest, Sept. 30, 1869.'  

 The bell that has done duty in the old church so long will be placed in the belfry of the new church.  This bell has been named St. Mary and its tone is A, and its weight is 800 pounds.

On Monday evening, the grand celebration was concluded with a banquet in the St. John's hall.  Various histories were offered by the speakers, including one by J. A. Deindoerfer on the Germans of Defiance and surrounding counties.
Upcoming posts will discuss Father Gloden in more detail and the history of the St. John Catholic Church.
The newspaper reported that the inscription and cross on the cornerstone were the work of G. W. Withrow, a workman employed by V.A. Shrimplin at the Perry Street marble works.

 

Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Knights Templar of Defiance, Ohio - 1894

The Knights Templar (K. T.) is one of the oldest fraternal bodies in the United States, begun in Ohio in 1818.  One of its requirements was that its members be professed Christians.  

From the Defiance Democrat - November 15, 1894 -

"THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR
Held Their Annual Election of Officers.

Defiance Commandery No. 30, K. T., held their annual election of officers Friday eve.  
The following members were chosen to serve the ensuing year:

E. Squire - Eminent Commander
J. P. Cameron - Generalissimo
Geo. W. Bechel - Capt. Gen'l.
L. E. Beardsley- Prelate
Chas. D. Harris - Sr. Warden
J. V. Cuff - Jr. Warden
Geo. W. Deatrick - Treasurer
R. T. Whitaker - Recorder
John L. Pocock - Standard Bearer
H. B. Tenzer - Sword Bearer
R. W. Wortman - Warden
F. W. Dittmer - Sentinel


Thursday, June 11, 2015

Unwise Romance in Farmer Township

From the Defiance Democrat - November 22, 1894

"LOVED NOT WISELY

A Farmer Township Young Man in County Jail.

CHARGED WITH BEING A FATHER

He Refuses to Furnish Bail, Although Able to Do So.
The Hasty Action of a Young Lady.

Benton A. Sweet, of Farmer township, is an inmate of the county jail.
Miss Florence Crossland, also of Farmer, has brought about his arrest on a paternity charge.  The case was heard before Philander Richardson, justice of the peace.  Sweet was held to the common pleas court in the sum of $600.  This bond he refused to furnish and he was locked up last Friday evening.

Both the parties are of respectable and highly connected families.  Their parents are well to do farmers and the young people have moved in the best of society.  Sweet has been keeping company with the young lady for several years.

Some time ago, it dawned upon the young lady who loved not wisely, but too ardently that she was about to become a mother.  She informed her lover of the fact and he promised to right the wrong by only one course open to him - marriage.  He told her he was not prepared to enter the matrimonial state.  The young man is reputed to be worth considerable property as he was managing a large farm belonging to his father.

Lately, he has been disposing of considerable of his chattels and friends of the girl persuaded her that he was preparing to flee the country and not fulfill his promise to marry her.  The fact is, he was negotiating for the purchase of a small farm in which was a pretty house he was intending to install her in as mistress of.

By the advice of meddlesome friends, it is learned she caused his arrest.  He was so indignant at the turn of affairs that he refused bail, although friends offered to furnish it, and went to jail.  He now declares he will not marry her, but he may think better of it.  It is understood the young lady now regrets her action.

LATER -- Since the above was written, Sweet has decided to be admitted to bail.  Hon. John W. Winn will go on his bond and will endeavor to induce Sweet to return to Farmer township and marry Miss Crossland." 

I think we all like a happy ending, and I'm fairly certain that this story had one.  According to the 1900 census, Benton Sweet, 38, and his wife, Florence, 31, lived in Farmer Township with their three children: L. D., 5, a son, and two daughters, Ardis, 3, and Valera, 1.  Benton was farming and their marriage date was given at 1895, so apparently, after the initial shock of the pregnancy, Benton succumbed to the plea to marry Florence.  I hope they lived happily ever after!
 

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Brunersburg School, Noble Township, 1897 & 1899

Students Attending the Brunersburg School #5, Noble Township
for the term commencing April 6 and ending June 26, 1897
John F. Dowe, Director
S. I. Gruner, Teacher
Girls -
Alice Leaders           Georgia Lower          Flo Dowe           Beatrice Dowe
Stella Goddard         Hazel Hilton             Nellie Goddard   Carrie Dowe
Minnie Smith            Deetta Goddard       Emma Smith      Loda Myers
Ella Felley                Ida Pfeifle                Anna Ashbaugh  Pearl Dowe
Grace Chaney          Carrie Haller             Mary Mack         Hattie Worthington
Alice Lero                Fern Mack                Cora Beck          Rena Hayward

Boys -
Charley Smith          David Lower            Johnny Beck       Alvie Beck
Joe Lero                  Will Lero                 Clarence Felley    Earl Goddard
Charley Lehman       Roy Lower              Dick Hilton          Harry Lower
Johnny Ashbaugh     Charley Dowe         Frank Smith        Joe Brown
Joe Brown

Typical clothing of the late 1890's
Brunersburg School #5, Noble Township
For the term commencing October 2, 1899 to February 23, 1900

 John F. Dowe, Director and Member of School Board
James Haller, Sub-Director
F. W. Smith, Sub-Director
Frank L. Wisda, Teacher
Girls -                                                Boys -
Vidia N. Gyer                                      Joseph Lero
Mary M. Hiler                                      Marritt E. Schoonover
Bea Dowe                                           Dick H. Hilton
Grace Cheney                                     Maynard H. Jordan
Anna L. Mack                                      Joseph A. Brown
Carrie Dowe                                        Sylas Williamson
Stella Goddard                                    Grover Castner
Mable L. Myers                                    Karl T. Schoonover
Cora Shaffer                                       Walter Arnholt
Emma Speaker                                    John Lero
Ida May Mock                                      Charlie Dowe
Emma C. Smith                                   Earl F. Goddard
Myrtie Gyer                                         Frank A. Smith
Hazel Hilton                                        Charles Smith
Georgia Williamson                              Fred Mack
E. Louisia Jordan                                  William Lero
Carra Haller                                         Walter Smith
Pearl Dowe                                          Frank W. Gyer
Josephine Hiler
Katie Lero
Mary G. Mack
Alice Lero
L. Deette Goddard
Fern A. Mack

If you enjoy reading our blog, please consider subscribing by entering your email in the space on the right.  Every time the blog is updated, you will receive an email telling you that there is a new post.  We can't see who subscribes, so it is private, and it assures that you won't miss a thing on our blog!

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Defiance County Pioneers - Mary Ann Washburn Braucher

Independence Cemetery -
Isaac E Braucher, died Feb. 8, 1878,
Aged 75 ys 5ms 22 d
 From the Defiance Democrat, October 25, 1894 -


"Death of Mrs. Braucher.

Mrs. Isaac Braucher died Sunday evening at the residence of her son Isaac Braucher, Jr., who lives just east of the city.  Mrs. Braucher was 87 years old and her death is due to her advanced age.

The funeral occurred Tuesday at the Independence M. E. church at 2 p.m., Rev. Wilson preaching the funeral sermon.

Mrs. Braucher was one of the early settlers, who came to this country in 1825.  There were only three houses in Defiance when she came here, and she resided for many years in a house which stood almost under the old apple tree famed in history.

Mrs. Braucher was the mother of eight children, only two of whom are living, Isaac and Mrs. Richoxls, of Napoleon.  The deceased had many friends in this section and was familiarly called Grandma Braucher by all who knew her."


- Her husband, Isaac Earl Braucher (1892 - 1878)
www.findagrave.com 

Thursday, June 4, 2015

A Father and Daughter Reunite in Defiance After 37 Years

From the Defiance Democrat - November 15, 1894

It is remarkable that this meeting ever took place - just pure coincidence.  It's not like they had any social media to help them!

"AFTER MANY YEARS
A Father and Daughter Reunited in this City.

TALE OF AMERICA AND GERMANY

Rev. William Wilsdorf Visits His Daughter, Mrs. E. E. Root, Whom He Had Not Seen for Over a Quarter of a Century.

Mrs. E. E. Root, who resides on Jefferson street, has for her guest her father, whom she has not seen for 37 years.  The father, Rev. William Wilsdorf, is now a resident of Fairfield, Jefferson county, Ia. and is 77 years old.  The story is one of the most strange ones in history and would furnish material for an interesting book or a realistic drama.

Thirty-seven years ago William Wilsdorf resided with his wife and two children in Mahoning county, this state.  Mr. Wilsdorf came from Germany and previous to the time mentioned, he had made two trips to the land of his birth.  At the time the opening chapters of this story were (? ) , Mr. Wilsdorf was afflicted with a swelling on one of his legs.  He was a tanner and had steady employment.

His ways were German of a pronounced order, and as he could get no relief from the physicians in this country, he was impressed with a belief that the doctors of his native land could effect a cure.  He accordingly disposed of his business and informed his wife he was going to Germany.  The partner of his joys did not wish to accompany him and he told her he would go alone.

One bright, spring moring in 1857, he sailed for Liverpool to revisit his fatherland, leaving his wife and two children, girls, in America.  That parting was the last.  The wife never saw him again.  One of the girls soon sickened and died, leaving Mrs. Wilsdorf and the oldest child, Hattie, alone in the world.

We will first follow the tortures of the father.  When he arrived in Germany, he was taken violently ill and was an inmate of a hospital where he remained for three years, hovering between life and death.  He did not write to his family, for he was unable to write and among strangers.  After he recovered somewhat, he addressed a letter to his old home in Mahoning county, and told his wife he would sail for home. He told her the steamer he would sail on and what time he expected to reach New York.  This was the turning point in his life for his health, which had balked his designs for many years, failed him and he was again obliged to go to a hospital where he remained for a long time.

When he was better, he again wrote to America, but could get no trace of his wife or children.  The matter was put into the hands of the German consul, but the search was of no avail.  He mourned his wife and children as dead.  He remained in Germany and subsequently married, as the law in Germany frees a man after a stipulated number of years.  A few years after his marriage, he realized that he could do better in this country, so he again started for America and settled in Iowa.

He prospered, became converted, and, as he was an educated man, he soon became a minister in the church of God. He accumulated property and now owns a large farm and tannery at Fairfield.  

A few days ago, he received a letter from Mrs. Root, in which she announced herself as his daughter and expressed a desire to meet him.  He was overjoyed to learn his daughter was among the living, and upon the receipt of her message, he immediately wrote back he would see her just as soon as the railroad connections would bring him here.

Last Saturday evening he arrived in the city and was met by his daughter and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Kidney, who were at the depot to meet him.  He met the ladies and immediately embraced Mrs. Root, exclaiming, 'This is my daughter, my little Hattie.'  There was a reunion that moved the bystanders to tears.

Mr. Wilsdorf is a kindly old gentleman and Mrs. Root is the only child he has.  To return to the wife and children, Mrs. Wilsdorf when she could hear no further tidings of her husband, came to the conclusion he was dead.  The tidings that he would come to America raised her hopes, but when he did not put in an appearance, she thought him dead.  In those days, ocean travel was slow and tedious, and information regarding the arrival and departure of vessels was not as easily obtained as it is now.

She made inquiries in Germany by letters, but could get no trace of her husband.  Her letters were unopened.  He was dead to her and after many years of anxious waiting, she was finely impressed with the idea that he was dead.  Soon after his departure, she moved from Mahoning county to Cleveland and being a frugal and industrious woman, providing for herself and little girl.

The daughter grew to womanhood and married Eugene E. Root, who at that time lived at North Ridgeville, Lorain county.  He learned Mrs. Wilsdorf's story and prosecuted a search for the father, even going so far as to enlist the services of the U. S. Consul in Germany, but the search was a fruitless one for the father was then in America.

Several years ago, Mrs. Wilsdorf, who had, to make assurance doubly sure, secured a divorce from her husband and married a gentleman in Cleveland by the name of Judkins and had children by him.  She died about two years ago.  Mrs. Root has been a resident of this city for several years.

The reuniting of the father and daughter was the result of a visit of a resident of Fairfield, Iowa to Mahoning county.  This man in visiting friends near Wilsdorf's old home, became acquainted with a brother of his Iowa neighbor.  A conversation explained the matter satisfactorily to the Ohio man that he had found his long lost brother and a letter confirmed his belief.  This brother, who lives in Harlin Center, Mahoning county, has two sons in the jewelry business in Cleveland.

In conversation one day with a traveling man, Mr. Root learned of the brothers, and as their names were the same as his wife's maiden name, he resolved to ascertain if they could tell him anything about the father of his wife.  He went to Cleveland and saw them.  They had recently returned from a visit to their father, and he had told them of finding his long lost brother who had a girl named Hattie.  They said he lived in Jefferson county, Ia., but they had forgotten the address.

Mr. Root has a brother, Alanson Root, living near Fairfield, and he wrote him to ascertain if he knew a man by the name of Wilsdorf.  The Iowa brother lives within two miles of the gentleman sought, and thus a means of communication was brought about.

The Iowa brother had resided in the same neighborhood with Rev. Wilsdorf for about twenty years and was intimately acquainted with him, but neither of the gentlemen knew he could impart information that would cause two hearts to beat with rapture.

Mr. Wilsdorf will return to his home next Wednesday and says his trip here had made him the happiest man in America, while Mrs. Root is overjoyed to see her father she has mourned as dead for 37 years."

Rev. Wilsdorf lived only four more years, passing away on April 13, 1898.  I wonder if he was able to see his daughter again after this meeting in 1894.  William Wilsdorf is buried with his second wife, Emilia Ellener Wilsdorf, in the Bethesda Cemetery, Fairfield County, Iowa in an unmarked grave.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Daniel Marckel - At the Mouth of Mud Creek

From the Marckel scrapbook...

Today the Tiffin River has overrun its banks due to our recent, heavy rains.  The tragedy of the following described accident was heightened as I imagined the situation of Daniel Marckel and Martin Schneider as they tried to cross that river that probably looked much like it does today.  






--“AT THE MOUTH OF MUD CREEK.  
 Daniel Markle, of Adams Township, is Thrown From a Buggy and Goes Down in the Waters of Tiffin River.

A deplorable accident occurred at the mouth of Mud Creek, Sunday evening at five o’clock, that resulted in the death of Daniel Markle, of Adams township.  Mr. Markle and a man by the name of Martin Schneider had been visiting friends in Washington township and were on their way home.  The waters in Mud creek and Tiffin river were very high and as they approached the Chapel bridge, the horse got off the road and went into deep water.  Schneider jumped as the buggy started to go over and called upon Markle to do the same, but that he failed to do, and was swept out into the current and drowned.

Several times Schneider thought he would be able to save his friend but his efforts were abortive.  One of the boys at the children’s home made a heroic effort to reach the drowning man, but it was not to be and he went down beneath the dark waters of the Tiffin river.  Mr. Markle was aged about 50 or 55 years and was a prosperous farmer of Adams township.

The road way at the point where the accident occurred is very narrow and was covered with water.  The suggestion comes at a late day, but it would be a good thing if the authorities would put a row of stakes on the road.  That would preclude the possibility of another accident of the same kind at that point.  The horse which was attached to the buggy belonged to Schneider and was also drowned. Markle’s body had not been recovered at the time this was written.”

*******
--“Our family was somewhat enlarged last week in trying to accommodate the gentlemen who were so faithfully searching for the lost body of Mr. D. Marckel, who had so unfortunately been drowned near the Home.  Albert Risk, one of our largest boys, showed his bravery by plunging into the deep water after the drowning man, while he was struggling for life.  Owing to the depth of the water, Albert had a narrow escape from being drowned himself. Yet he seemed so eager to rescue the drowning man.  Mr. Marckel’s family and relatives have the deepest sympathy of all connected with the Home in their sorrow…”

 *******
--“FOUND FLOATING.   
The Body of Daniel Markel Secured.  
The Vigilance of His Friends Rewarded and His Body Found Floating Several Miles From the Place Where He Met His Death.

The body of Daniel Marckel is found.  The vigilance of his friends and their untiring zeal were rewarded Monday at 11 a.m.  His relatives have had an idea for the past few days that his body would rise to the surface and float down stream.  In view of this, they had two parties of watchers stationed on the stream below where he met his death and they watched day and night, never relaxing their vigil for an instant.

This party was stationed down the creek some distance, near the residence of Lyman Langdon.  By the road, this is about two miles from the place where Marckel met his death.  Opinions differ as to the distance by the creek, as the stream is so crooked only an accurate measurement would determine.  Men who reside in that section say it is five or six miles from the mouth of Mud creek,  where the drowning occurred.

Monday, at 11 o’clock this party of watchers consisted of Aaron Marckel and Eli Marckel, brothers of the dead man, John Marckel, a nephew, Amiel Grim, a relative, Chas. Jennings, James McCombs, and Walter Domier, neighbors.  Chas. Jennings and Amiel Grim were watching the stream and the rest were hunting in the driftwood and down the river. 

The young men saw an object floating and as it approached, they discovered it was the body they were in search of. Hastily manning the boat, they pulled out into the stream and were rewarded by finding the object they had looked for so faithfully for many days and nights.  They hurriedly called their companions and then the grief-stricken relatives gazed on the one they so long had sought.
The body was brought to this city by John Metz, a resident of Adams township and taken in charge by Undertaker Williams, who prepared it for burial.  The body is in an advanced state of decomposition and was a sorry object to look upon.  Over the left temple was an ugly looking bruise and by many, it is supposed he was kicked by the horse in his mad struggle in the stream.  The clothing is muddy and shows that he must have rolled along on the bottom of the river.  Thus the body, which has been in the water for the past eight days, has been found and the excitement over the sad affair will abate somewhat.”

 *******
--“ACCIDENTAL DROWNING.  
 Such is the Coroner’s Verdict in the Death of Dan Marckel.

Monday evening Coroner Westrick held an inquest on the body of Dan Marckel.  On the person of the deceased was found one five dollar bill and some small change, amounting in all to $7.03.

The testimony of Martin Snyder and Joshua Domer was taken.  Mr. Snyder gave an account of the drowning, substantially the same as had been published in the Democrat.  He added that he had did all in his power to save Mr. Marckel from drowning, but as he could not swim, he could not plunge in and rescue his friend.

Mr. Domer related the circumstances of the finding of the body.  Mr. Westrick returned a verdict ascribing the death to accidental drowning.  The coroner said an inquest was not absolutely necessary in this case, but he felt it his duty to hold one, as there had been some conflicting reports in regard to the death of Mr. Marckel.  He said he was satisfied that Mr. Snyder did all in his power to save Mr. Marckel and regretted the circumstances very deeply.  The remains were taken to the Marckel residence Monda and the funeral occurred Tuesday.”



Poplar Ridge Cemetery, Defiance County, Ohio        http://www.findagrave.com