DCGS Website

VISIT THE WEBSITE OF THE DEFIANCE COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
http://defiancecountygenealogy.org/

Monday, April 25, 2016

Perry E. Helpman - G.A.R., Bishop Post




Born on August 29, 1840, according to his tombstone, Perry E. Helpman was 22 years old when he enlisted in Company H, 118th Ohio Infantry on August 22, 1862.  He must have decided to marry his sweetheart before he left because the marriage of Perry E. Helpman and Juliann Parrish took place just four days after he signed up, on August 26, 1862.

His company set out for Kentucky and then Tennessee where they spent the first year of their enlistment guarding the railroads.  Their first real battle was at Mossy Creek, Tennessee where forty of their men were killed or wounded.


In May, 1864, the company set out for Georgia and engaged there in the Battle of Resaca.  According to an ancestry.com account of this company in battle, of 300 men, 116 were lost in less than 10 minutes.  More were lost soon after at Kennesaw Mountain, and at some point, Perry, himself, was seriously wounded.  The account noted that after June 1, 1864, the unit never had more than 250 men and, at their lowest, they were down to 120.  Perry Helpman experienced much during his three years of service.  He was mustered out on June 24, 1865 at Salisbury, Tennessee.


Perry and Juliann (Julia) seemed to disappear for the 1870 census, although his obituary suggested they may have lived in Napoleon. They appeared in 1880 in Defiance, Ohio.  Perry, 39, had a job as a stationary engineer (operated and/or maintained industrial equipment).  By now, they had two children: William, 16, and Edelbert (known as Del), 13, and these would be their only children.

The couple continued to live in Defiance, at 527 Washington Street, until their deaths.  They always had a live-in domestic servant until the 1920 census, and Perry continued to work into his elderly years.  

In May, 1922, Perry lost his wife and in 1924, his son, Del, died of heart failure. Perry, himself, died on June 24, 1927 and he was buried at Riverside Cemetery.






(This is part of a series on Civil War veterans of Defiance County who were part of the G.A.R., Bishop Post, that headquartered in the city.  Formed in 1879, the post was named after a local man, Captain William Bishop, Company D, 100th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Army who died as a result of wounds received in battle.  The veterans' photos are part of a composite photo of members that has survived.  If you have other information or corrections to add to the soldiers' stories, please add to the comments!)

Friday, April 22, 2016

Defiance County Pioneer - Hiram Hauser

www.findagrave.com - Hiram Hauser

"Obituary.

Hiram Hauser, son of Fredrick and Elizabeth (VanDusen) Hauser was born near Newark, Wayne county, New York, February 28, 1815, and departed this life February 22, 1895, aged 79 years, 11 months and 21 days.





The early days of his life were spent on his father's farm in New York, where he received a fair education.  At the age of 19 years, he taught a winter term at school, receiving for his services $15 per month and board.  After completing his term, he returned to his father's farm where he remained until he was 21 years of age.

In 1837 (?), Mr. Hauser immigrated to Defiance, coming by the Erie canal to Buffalo, then to Detroit by stage, making his way to Toledo, which was then only a village with but few inhabitants.  Following the Maumee, he arrived at Independence where he obtained a position as clerk in the hotel in which place he remained until the death of his father when he returned home to his old home in New York to care for his mother and to take charge of the homestead.
 After remaining there for some time, he came back to Defiance county, residing with his brother on what is now the Overly farm in Richland township.

On February 22, 1843, he purchased the farm on which he lived at the time of his death - fifty-three years - the death occurring on the anniversary of the day of purchase.  The land was purchased by one Rodabaugh, who resided about eight miles south of Dayton, to which place Mr. Hauser traveled on foot, carrying with him the money to pay for the land, carefully wrapped in a knapsack.

Hiram Hauser - Section 22

In 1853 (?), he was married to Miss Mary A. Stone, also of a pioneer family, her father having emigrated to Ohio from Vermont.  To them were born six children, one son, Edwin, who died in infancy, and five daughters, Samantha, the eldest, died May 25, 1889; Emma, who died April, 1888; Flora; Alice and Orpha.

At the time that Mr. Hauser came to Defiance county, it was almost an unbroken wilderness.  But, with a pioneer's courage, he began to fell the sturdy oak and to make himself a home that his declining years might be above want.  How well he had succeeded may be seen in his beautiful home that he left behind.

In his death, Adams township has lost one of its noblest characters.  He was industrious, temperate and frugal in all his habits.  Every charitable enterprise and good cause, he helped on.  He sought property only to make himself independent and to do good.  He was warm in his friendship, social in disposition, and mild in his manners.  Uniformly, the same in all dealings.

To him, the summons did not come suddenly.  His sickness extended over a period of over nine months.  Loving hearts did all that could be done to stay the approach of the destroyer.  Many times during his illness, he expressed trust in his Savior, saying, 'I'm ready to go.'  Confident that the trying hour had come, he calmly approached death like one who wraps the drapery about him and lies down to pleasant dreams."

(Obituary clipping - newspaper and date unknown. Dates were blurry and difficult to read.)

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Mark Township Schools Graduation - July 7, 1910

In 1910, the nine district schools in Mark Township had a combined commencement ceremony, held at the Methodist Church in Mark Center.  At that time, eighth grade students were required to pass the Boxwell-Patterson exam to graduate and go on to high school.  The exam was given in April or May, but here graduation doesn't occur until July.  Maybe time was needed for the exams to be graded? 



Question 1 from each section of the Boxwell-Patterson Examination of May, 1910:

Geography -
1. Draw an outline map of Ohio showing your own county and a few others, five cities, five rivers, and such other localities as you think will help to make a good map.

Arithmetic -
1. Write the table by which we buy cloth.  The table by which we buy land.  The table by which we buy vinegar.  The table by which we measure time.

Physiology -
1. Describe a bone.  Give the uses of the skeleton

U.S. History/ Civil Government
1. Why should we remember July 4th?  February 22?  February 12?  September 10, 1813?  The year 1803?  Describe an event in connection with one of these dates.

Grammar -
1. Name at least five kinds of sentences.  Write an example of each you have named.

Reading - The teacher will conduct an oral exam.

Writing - 
1. Write four lines of poetry.  The regularity of the letters and the legibility of the writing will be graded.

Orthography -
1. Mark these words showing the proper pronunciation:  Hallo, iceberg, surface, leisure, precinct, portico, exile, Gibralter, corral, busy.

So...how did you do? Comment on your success!


Monday, April 18, 2016

Defiance County Pioneers - Mrs. Southworth Enos

Esther Mildred (Southworth) Enos was the wife of William Enos, who preceded her in death in 1879.  William, her second husband, was a hero of the Civil War, organizing the 88th Regiment when he was 50 years old and serving two enlistments. He would not take a pension for himself during his lifetime, but after his death, his wife applied for a widow's pension.


The couple married in 1849, a second marriage for both, and together, they had one son, Benjamin Franklin Enos -"Frank" - who became a noted lawyer in the area. 

In celebration of her birthday, the Defiance Democrat interviewed her and printed this article on February 25, 1897:


"MRS. ENOS, A PIONEER, PASSES THE 76TH YEAR OF LIFE'S JOURNEY.

Reminiscences of Frontier Times 

Mrs. Southworth Enos passed an advanced milestone on life's journey last Friday - the seventy-sixth.  Mrs. Enos is one of the pioneers of the city, having come here when but sixteen years of age, and she was married and lived in the house on the corner of Jackson and First streets fifty years ago and over, when that was the extreme edge of Defiance.

Mrs. Enos is a sweet, gentle, and motherly lady, whose good health and ability to care for herself speak of the righteous christian life she has always led, a constant member for more than sixty years of the M.E. church

Mrs. Enos has one brother living in Defiance, Mr. Southworth on the north side.

When she came to Defiance, there are few people now living whom she remembers, but Mrs. Weisenberger Eck was her neighbor and a pleasant, affable friend.  The three counties had not yet been divided and the Indians were numerous in these parts.

She remembers one time when an old squaw applied to her mother for assistance, and as her mother was entirely out of bread and could not give her any, the old squaw got wrathy and caught her mother by the hair and began to drag her from the house.  Some gentlemen passing interfered and this was the only tme she remembers the Indians being hostile.  There were lots of them and they came often and had their camp fires and pow-wows on the site of the G. W. Bechel property.  They were clad in primitive style, wearing a loose blanket only for protection fro the most severe weather and were usually only offensive in their begging.

So we see, if our grandmothers did not have tramps to feed, they had Indians.

Mrs. Enos buried her husband, William Enos, in 1879.  She has but one son living, in whose house she makes her home, and is passing her days in serenity and rest, after an earnest life well spent." 

 For more information on the Southworth/ Enos family, visit HERE.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Black Sea School, Noble Township

District #4, the Black Sea School, was located in Section 18, on Roehrig Road, just west of Dowe Road.  Today the school still stands and is used as a motorcycle club.  
We have photocopies of quite a few class photos from this school, unfortunately undated, unidentified and not good enough copies to scan to post here.  
This school souvenir, however, is an excellent copy and is dated (discreetly) on the cover - 1917.


Mary A. Boterf, Teacher


Thursday, April 14, 2016

Andrew Jackson Sanford - G.A.R., Bishop Post



ANDREW JACKSON SANFORD




When the Civil War broke out, A. J. Sanford was a young farmer in Highland Township living with his wife, Rachel Rickner Sanford, and infant son, Francis.  Yet, when the call for volunteers came, Andrew enlisted in Company B, 68th Ohio Infantry on October 24, 1861.  He served in this company for nine months and two days, being discharged on July 24, 1862.








 He enlisted twice more.  On March 2, 1864, he joined Company F, 68th O.V.I and served a little over six months.  Within a few weeks of his discharge on September 4, 1864, he reenlisted, joining Company F, 185th OVI.  He served another ten months and fourteen days.  The disabilities listed on the 1890 veterans census were many - catarrah in the head (inflammation of mucous membranes, affecting the respiratory system), bronchitis, "weak ever since 1865," and chronic diarrhea and epileptic fits for 25 years.  




















 His pension record differs from what he reported on the 1890 census as to regiments, stating he was in the National Guard, 169th Regiment, Company F and in the 183rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry.

Andrew Jackson Sanford

 In the photo on the right, A. J. Sanford's G.A.R. badge is visible.  The badge was authorized by Congress for wearing by the Union veterans.  The bronze star depicts in relief a soldier and a sailor holding hands in front of a statue symbolizing Liberty.

 


Sanford returned home from the war and resumed farming in Highland Township, with his wife, Rachel, and children Frank (Francis) and Rozella.  He was active politically with the Republican party and served in various offices in the county, including commissioner, township trustee, Justice of the Peace, and member of the Republican Central Committee.  He lived on his farm in Highland township, next to son, Frank, and family until sometime between 1900 and 1910.

The 1910 census enumerator found Rachel and A. J. in Defiance, Fourth Ward, both 70 years old.  Andrew was working as a mail carrier and they were renting their home.  Living with them was Gertrude Sanford, their granddaughter, 24 and single.  Gertrude worked as a saleslady in a dry goods store.

Born March 6, 1840, Andrew Jackson Sanford died on July 30, 1915 and was buried in Riverside Cemetery, Defiance. He lived 75 years. 


Defiance Crescent-News - July 31, 1915




www.findagrave - son of John Miller Sanford and Electa Cassity Sanford


 

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Thompson School, Milford Township

The Thompson School was District #10 in Milford Township, located in Section 10 on Kramer Road, 1/4 mile east of Route 49.  


 P. H. Underhill, Supt. and Mary E. Moore, Teacher

Pupils: 
Violet Hook
Marian Hulbert, June Hulbert, Eugene Hulbert
Helen Gessner 
Robert Evans, Leina Evans
Agnes Carey
Gloria Hook
Galen Green, Richard Green, Loren Green
Nona Countryman, Clair Countryman
Ina Jean Schooley
June Klepper
Darrell Fulmer, Wyndolyn Fullmer

Monday, April 11, 2016

Settling Adams Township



"ADAMS TOWNSHIP PIONEERS WERE
ALL STRONG AND HARDY PEOPLE

(By U. G. Figley)
Adams township was organized April 6, 1836, and was a part of Henry county, and was annexed to Defiance county when it was formed in 1845, so it seems in a way not so much a part of the county as the other townships originally a part of Defiance.  It was named after Judge Bishop Adams, who was the first settler locating in Section 18.

A portion of Adams township, showing Section 16 and 18, from the 1866 plat map of Defiance County
Among the earliest settlers were A. Battenberg, Joseph Frantz, John Hornish, John Hively, Darius Jones, Eli Markel, Jacob Shock, John Scott, Jacob Schwartzel, Jacob Tittle and Tollman Voorhes

The old 'great prairie' is in Section 16, and the county ditch through there finished its being a marsh for beavers and such, bordering on the Black Swamp, so familiar to all the early settlers as a land of mud and water and brush and other stuff, through which they as a rule had to move, in coming from the east.

Relics Are Found.
In the process of draining, a large collection of skeletons, elk-horns, and numerous relics were found.  What is known as the Ridge Road was evidently once along the shore of Lake Erie, extending from the river at Independence to Detroit, Mich.  Being a nice, sandy road, naturally it was the Indian highway to Detroit.

Aaron Diehl came from Montgomery County in 1843.  His father served in the war of 1812 and an uncle was one of 'Marion's Men' during the Revolution.  Mr. Diehl purchased his home in Section 21 in 1835.

Ephraim Markel came from Delaware county in 1835 with his uncle, Eli Markel, and married Barbara Lehman in 1840.  He was a great hunter, dispatching three or four bears or forty or fifty deer on a hunt.  He also trapped wolves for the fun of it.  Bears also were killed.


Fought Buck Deer.
Abraham Schrimplin came with his family from Knox county about 1841, and was one of the solid old pioneers.  John Hornish, Sr., came with his family from Montgomery county in 1836.  A son, John, Jr., when only 13 years old, had a terrific fight with a buck deer, wounding it in the great (?) with a gun-shot and when the buck jumped for him, he took advantage of its catching a foot on a root and stumbling. The lad jumped on it, grabbed it by the antlers with one hand and killed it with his hunting knife.  
Another time, he was hunting with J. K. Potter, when they found a she-bear and her cubs.  Thinking they had finished the old bear, he gave her a final blow, as he thought, on the head with a club.  She came to her feet with a rush and grabbled with him, necessitating Mr. Potter's putting his gun against her head and shooting her dead for sure.  Mr. Hornish accumulated 650 acres of land in Adams township.

Jacob Swartz came to the township in 1836, helping to organize it.  Among the early settlers in those days, George Grubb appears to have been the second to locate.  Charles Tubbs came from Oswego county, New York in 1836, and settled in Section 11.  Nearby were Jacob Hively, William Mozier, James Davison, Mrs. Tubbs (formerly Lucy Howe) who taught the first school in 1837, with nine pupils.  Expenses of the school were paid by subscription.

Built Meeting House.


Henry Lehman was born in Germany and located in Adams township in Section 21, in 1837, and he was influential in the building of the meeting house of the Church of the Brethren (Dunkard), in 1878, and he was one of its local ministers.  Others were Aaron Diehl, John Hornish, Ephraim Markel and John W. Lehman.
Jacob Tittle moved from Richland township (to which
he had moved in 1824) to Adams township in 1839.
There are numerous descendants.

Sylvester A. Hull, a prominent Defiance man, was a son of Emanuel and Jane Osborn Hull, who came to Adams township from Trumbull county in 1849.  Elijah Osborn, her father, came from Mahoning county in February, 1846, moved with three teams across the state in six days.  At Gilboa, he concluded to have the six children walk and have the two teams haul the goods.  The children broke out with the measles, and wading through the mud and water of the famous Black Swamp for several miles, they were both tired and sick when they reached Independence.  There they were cared for, all fortunately recovering.

Michael Lutz was born in Bavaria, Gemany, and he came to Seneca county in 1841.  He married Catherine Hassett, who was born in Ireland and he came to Adams township in 1850.  A daughter, Gertrude, married the late John Wisda, in 1871, who was born in Klatan, Bohemia in 1844, and he came to America with his father's family in 1854, locating in Sandusky county.  A brother, Joseph, lives in Tiffin township.  The family name appears to have originally been spelled Hwezda.  Mr. Wisda accumulated a great deal of land, and was a prominent citizen of the county, serving two terms, most acceptably, as County Treasurer, in the 90's.  A son, John G., being deputy."

Defiance Democrat - February 22, 1917



 

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Grace Episcopal Church at the Corner of Second and Washington

From the Defiance Democrat, July 26, 1894...an article describing the beautiful churches and cemeteries of Defiance, Ohio

GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH

"One of the neatest and most charming churches in the city is the Grace Episcopal church, which stands at the corner of Second and Washington streets.  It is a small brick church, covered with pretty green vines, which make it extremely pretty, cool and attractive.  The interior is quite as inviting as the exterior.  It is nicely carpeted throughout, and some appropriate mottoes are upon the prettily frescoed walls.  The windows are of stained glass and, when open in summer, one can catch a glimpse of the quiet, peaceful river and the dark shadows of the wood beyond, while the soft, sweet breezes float in and the voice of the minister pronounces the words of God.

Grace Episcopal Church from the May 2005, Historic Homes Calendar
The first Episcopal service ever held in the city was in 1851 by Rev. Dr. Walbridge, of Toledo.  Until the year of 1858, various divines conducted services here.  On the first day of May, 1858, the Grace church parish was formed.  After the year 1858, no services were held here for many years, but in 1876, Rev. A. V. Gorrell, of Hicksville, held services here and in time, the present church was built at a cost of $4,000.

It was consecrated April 11th, 1878, by Bishop Bedell.  Under the laws of the Episcopal church of America, no debt must exist on a church or the ground upon which it stands at consecration.  There being a debt of $4,000 on this church, five gentlemen lifted the debt by borrowing the money and giving their individual bond for it in order that the church might be consecrated.  It was a kindly deed and will ever by held in grateful remembrance by the communicants of the church.

Rev. George S. May is the pastor at present, and was installed as minister in December of 1880.  Since that time, the debt has been paid.  Mr. May has worked hard and earnestly for the welfare of the church and much credit and praise is due him.  


A short time ago, one was borne for the last time from the beautiful little, vineclad church, who might almost be called its founder.  He loved it and labored for it.  I  speak of that noblest and best of men, Judge Jacob J. Greene.  Every true heart in the city was touched with sorrow for the loss of the great souled, noble hearted man, whom none knew but to love and to honor, and he was mourned by none more sincerely than the the communicants of the little church he had helped to found and had labored for with such patient enduring helpfulness. 

The rectory stands in the shadow of the church, and is a large and handsome brick building which costs $1,300." 

Thursday, April 7, 2016

William S. McClary - G.A.R., Bishop Post




William was 21 when his name was written on the draft registrations for Shelby and Logan Counties. But, he was 27 when he enlisted for a three year term of service in Company C of the 99th Ohio Infantry.  His regiment was formed in Lima, Ohio, where 1700 men were recruited; however, before departing, 700 of them were transferred into the 118th Ohio.

His enlistment date was August 1, 1862, and soon after that he was on his way to Lexington, Kentucky.





 According to one compiled history of this regiment,
"Hard marches and exposure in the warmest season of the year occasioned sickness from which the regiment suffered severely, and when it moved forward to take part in the battle of Stone's River, it could only muster 369 men, 2 field, 7 line and 3 staff officers for duty (out of the 1,021 men who left Ohio)."

This regiment also fought two days in Chickamauga, and then Lookout Mountain and the Kenesaw Mountain battle.  "Indeed, during the whole campaign, it was under fire almost daily, but its most severe engagement was on the night of June 20, near Kenesaw mountain, where each man of the regiment fired upon average 150 rounds of ammunition, a growth of small timber in front of the line being mown down as if by a scythe." This regiment also took part in the assault on Atlanta in August, 1864.  (Later on, the 99th would be consolidated with the 50th Ohio and the 99th would not exist.)  William was mustered out in Nashville, Tennessee on June 20, 1865.


 William married Louisa Haines (Haynes) and they moved to Defiance from Shelby County, where they had been enumerated on the census in 1870.  William, a journeyman carpenter, and Louisa had one son, Alphonso, born about 1860.  (A later census - 1910 - indicated that this was a second marriage for William and a first marriage for Louisa.)

William resumed his carpentry work in Defiance, where the family lived at 623 Wayne Street.  An incident reported in the Defiance Democrat on January 8, 1909, gave insight into the kindness of Mr. McClary:

"ROBBED PEOPLE WHO WERE BEFRIENDING HIM

MR. AND MRS W. S. MCCLARY ARE OUT ABOUT $85 WORTH OF JEWELRY.

Acting the part of good friends, Mr. and Mrs. W. S. McClary were made the victims of one of the smoothest robberies ever worked in this city, Sunday, and have lost jewelry to the value of about $85 and a small sum in currency.  No trace of the man who pulled off the game has been found and the chances are that Mr. and Mrs. McClary will never recover their property.

During the last street carnival, a young man giving his name as James Dixon, claiming his hometown as Jamestown, Pa., and his age at 26, in company with his brother, roomed at the McClary home.  The young man acted the part of a gentleman and when he again visited this city shortly before Christmas and applied at the McClary home for a room, he was given it.

Saturday night, he stated to Mr. McClary that he had not received his check and asked if Mr. McClary could wait several days.  This request was granted.  He also asked Mr. McClary to call him about 10 o'clock Sunday morning as he said that he had an engagement for dinner.  Mr. and Mrs. McClary, before leaving for church, called the young man according to his request.  When they returned from worship, they found that during their absence, the roomer had turned robber and had looted the entire house.  The police were notified, but were unable to secure any clue to Dixon.  It is thought that he took the west bound B. & O. noon train for Chicago.

Dixon claimed that he was a horse jockey and intended going to Santiago, Cal. where he was to ride in races in that city.

Mr. and Mrs. McClary were not the only victims of young Dixon.  During his short stay here, he formed the acquaintance of Allen Maxwell who is interested in horses, and Saturday night he borrowed $10 from Mr. Maxwell, which that young gentleman is still looking for.  He also attempted to borrow rings from a number of young ladies, with who he had formed an acquaintance, saying that he desired to wear them over Sunday.

His description is given as very short of stature, brown curly hair, smooth face, wore light brown coat and dark brown vest.

From the McClary home,he took the following: solid gold neck chain, valued at about $30; gold breast pin, containing five amethysts set in a leaf shape; small stick pin, amethyst; gold ring, square garnet set with six small diamond chips, E. K. engraved on inside of ring; solid gold K. of P. badge and about $2 in currency." 
 
 
In 1910, William S., 74, and his wife, Louisa, 66, still lived at the Wayne Street address.  William had a home shop for his carpentry business.  On November 22, 1916, William died, leaving his wife and son, Alphonse.
 

Riverside Cemetery -  www.findagrave.com


(This is part of a series on Civil War veterans of Defiance County who were part of the G.A.R., Bishop Post, that headquartered in the city.  Formed in 1879, the post was named after a local man, Captain William Bishop, Company D, 100th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Army who died as a result of wounds received in battle.  The veterans' photos are part of a composite photo of members that has survived.  If you have other information or corrections to add to the soldiers' stories, please add to the comments!)

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Clarksville School, Milford Township

The Clarksville School was District #3 in Milford Township, located in Section 5 at the intersection of the Defiance-Williams County Line and the Hicksville-Edgerton Road.

Clarksville, Milford Township  - 1866 plat map

The school was at the site of the now extinct town of Clarksville, established in about 1835 when the town was officially surveyed by Miller Arrowsmith and then platted.  The very first school there was held in 1837 with John Sawyer as the teacher, but the first school building was not erected until 1840, according to Ohio Ghost Towns, Book #10. The school closed in about 1932.

 


Monday, April 4, 2016

Defiance County Pioneers - Peter Gares

Peter Gares is mentioned in several sources as a fine agriculturalist and a very strong, participating member of the Defiance County community.  We begin with his death in 1897 when the Defiance Democrat (October 7) ran not only his obituary, but a history of his life with even more detail.

"OBITUARY

Peter Gares, son of Jacob and Mary Gares, was born in Bavaria, Germany, December 22, 1836, and died in Tiffin township, Defiance county, Ohio, September 26, 1897, aged 80 years, 9 months and five days.
1890 Atlas of Defiance County - Section 15, Peter Gares

Brother Gares was converted to God at Defiance, Ohio, under the pastorate of the Rev. John Snider, in the year 1856, while yet a young man.  He immediately joined the Methodist Episcopal church and has since remained a faithful and devoted member.  His life has been that of a consistent Christian.

On December 2, 1858, he was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Christena Toberen, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Toberen, early pioneers of Tiffin township; to this union were born 9 children, 6 sons and 3 daughters.  Two sons, Charles E., Emerson W. and two daughters, Sarah E. and Clara O., have preceded him to the spirit land.

A loving and faithful wife, four sons, John W., Jacob H., Orester P. and Frederick W. and one daughter, Mary E., one grandson, Ray Gares, one brother, Charley, two sisters, Kate and Sarah, a great many other relatives and friends are left to mourn their loss, which is his eternal gain.

Brother Gares has resided in Tiffin township for more than 40 years, 39 years of which he has resided on the old home farm.  He was always active and took a deep interest in church and Sunday school work, having often been called upon to fill important positions and do energetic work for the cause he so early learned to love.  In his death, the family has lost a loving husband and father, the church a devoted member, the community a good neighbor and all a faithful friend."




The second obituary is so very detailed that it goes back to the generation of Peter's father, includes birth and death dates, and gives the history of Peter's community service.
"DEATH OF PETER GARES.

At eleven o'clock a.m. Thursday, Mr. Peter Gares, of Tiffin township, one more of Defiance county's oldest and most respected citizens passed to his final reward.
Among our old residents, the name of Peter Gares is his history.  But there are younger people in the county who do not know him so well.  To them, the life work of a good man is worth much to the rising generation, as an example of honesty to those who are willing to accept the truth and abide by it.

Mr. Gares earned the reputation of being an honest man by being honest.  He was treasurer of Tiffin township for twenty years.  He never gave anybody occasion to say aught against him.

The following are a few lines which give a short history of his life:

Peter Gares was born December 22, 1836, in Bavaria, Germany, was eldest son of Jacob and Mary E. (Drum) Gares, also Bavarians, who immigrated in September, 1839, landing in New York, with Peter, their only child.  During their three weeks' stay in New York, their next child, Charles, was born.

After a short stay in Williamsport, Penn., they came to Rome, Richland Co., Ohio, where the father worked at his trade of wagon-making till the fall of 1841, when they removed to Brady township, Williams county, where they remained until his death on November 25, 1876, at the age of 76.  Peter Gares married, December 2, 1858, Christiania, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Beederwell) Toberen, born April 5, 1838.

Mr. Gares had a family of nine children - Sarah E., born February 24, 1860 and died January 4, 1867; John W., born March 22, 1862; Charles E., born January 14, 1865 and died Nov. 30, 1866; Jacob H. born July 4, 1867; Orestus P. born April 27, 1870; Clara O., born July 16, 1873 and died April 23, 1875; Emerson W., born October 14, 1876, and died 22nd of same month; Mary E., born October 20, 1877; Frederick W., born July 3, 1881. 

Mr. Gares bought out the old Toberen homestead, entered by Henry Hockman and Frederick Toberen, and has now a farm of 147 acres.  Mr. Gares has been elected to most of the township, as well as some of the county, offices.  In the spring of 1859,he was elected township trustee, and served five years.  Assessor in 1866, and reelected in 1867.  Infirmary director at the organization in 1869, one year, and reelected in 1870 for three years.  During this time, in 1871, he was elected township treasurer and served in this capacity two years.  In the fall of 1873, he was elected County Commissioner, and reelected in 1876.  During this time (in 1877), he was again elected to township treasurer, and at each annual election has been chosen by the people of his township as its treasurer, and occupied this position at the time of his death.

Mr. Gares has one of the finest farms in Tiffin township."

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Orlando Dyarman - G.A.R., Bishop Post


Orlando Dyarman (Dyerman) grew up in Wayne County, Ohio, in a large family consisting of his parents, Joseph and Elizabeth and siblings (in 1860) - Joseph, Nettie, Sarah, James, George, Ebena (?), Emma, and Horace.  

In 1860, Orlando was 19, and by the next year, he was enlisted in Company E, 4th Ohio Infantry for a three month stint, from April 16 - June 4, 1861.  This group, recruited in Wooster, was known as Given Guards, in honor of Judge William Given of Wooster.  At the end of that term, Orlando reenlisted and served until his final discharge, as a sergeant, on June 4, 1864.



For a good summary of the 4th experiences, check out this article written for the Wooster Daily News by Paul Locher.  

Orlando's pension card also notes his service in the Veteran Reserve Corps (once known as the Invalid Corps) - 6th Regiment, Company F.  Soldiers who had some partial disability or other issue were given light duty in this corp, usually guard duty for railroads or prisoners of war, or they may have served as escorts or messengers.  The 6th Regiment was formed in D.C. and served in March and April, 1865.  So Orlando's service spanned the entire war.



In 1872, Orlando married Frances P. Wright in Seneca County Ohio, on June 5th.
A search in the 1870 census did not locate him, but he and Frances were found in 1880, living at 319 Jefferson Street in Defiance.  Orlando was a merchant, and he and his wife had three children: Mary, 7; Ora, 5 (dtr.) and Walter, 2 and a servant, Ella Heller, 18.

In 1887, Orlando, then quartermaster of the Bishop Post, received a correspondence inviting him and members of the 4th to the dedication of monuments in Gettysburg honoring their service.
No evidence was found that he did or did not attend the celebration on September 14, 1887.

Orlando was enumerated in the veterans schedule of the 1890 census, but some time after that, he and his wife moved to Georgia for his health.  It was there he passed away on May 7, 1905 at about the age of 65.


In an ironic and interesting side note, the Defiance Democrat reported this of his funeral:
"May 19, 1905.  BLUE AND GRAY.
A Georgia paper gives an interesting account of the funeral obsequies of Orlando Dyarman at Jefferson, Georgia.  The paper says that six ex-Confederate soldiers acted as pall bearers and a colonel who served in the Confederate army accompanied the remains to Tiffin, Ohio, for burial.  It would appear that the blue and the gray had buried their differences in a most amicable manner down south.  Mr. Dyarman was a union veteran of the late war."

Orlando Dyarman was buried at Greenlawn Cemetery, Tiffin, Seneca County, Ohio.
 





Mrs. Dyarman stayed in the north and in the censuses of 1910 - 1930 was enumerated with her son, William, a grocery merchant in Paulding County.  Also with them for those years were Frances' sister, Mary, and in 1910, a single aunt.
When William married, he named his son, Orlando, after the boy's very patriotic and loyal grandfather.


(This is part of a series on Civil War veterans of Defiance County who were part of the G.A.R., Bishop Post, that headquartered in the city.  Formed in 1879, the post was named after a local man, Captain William Bishop, Company D, 100th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Army who died as a result of wounds received in battle.  The veterans' photos are part of a composite photo of members that has survived.  If you have other information or corrections to add to the soldiers' stories, please add to the comments!)

Friday, April 1, 2016

Maplewood or Kopp School, Highland Township

The District #7 School in Highland Township was located in Section 11 at the intersection of Watson and Steinmyer Roads.  Two souvenir booklets, more than 20 years apart, gave a few of the families in the area at those times.

"Sub-District No. 7
Highland Township, Defiance County, Ohio
Winter of 1893 - 1894
F. G. Blue, Teacher
  
Girls - Ella Coppes, Minnie Fauth, Minnie Frank, Katie Grossman, Mary Hoelrich
Allie and Katie Kaestner
Amelia, Lizzie, Polly, and Sophia Kopp
Gertie Max, Alma Miller, Minnie Otto, Katie Schappart
Cora and Lottie Schatz
Minnie Troeger, Katie Wight

Boys - Bennie, Karl, and Willie Bauman
Frank Bowers
Gerhardt and Paul Diemer
Johnie Dietsch
John and Otto Eberle
Charley Fauth, Andy Goller, Eddie Grossman
John and Rudy Hoelrich
Harmon and John Kaestner
Fred, Harmon, Webster, and Willie Kopp
Peter Max
Harvey and Roy Miller
Harry and Lewis Ott
George Schall
Karl and Willie Schappart
Eddie Schatz
Andy, Eli and Frank Troeger
Thomas Wight
Adam and Karl Wolfrum"

Sample from a souvenir booklet, not those named here. Many booklet contained moral directions for pupils.


"Maplewood Public School
District No. 7 - 1916
Highland Township, Defiance Co., O.
Frederick Fauth, Teacher
W.W. Heater, Co. Supt.
School Officers - J. F. Hill, Pres. - F. W. Deckrosh, Clerk -
V. L. Deckrosh, Dist. Supt. -
C. M. Rhamy, Chas. Boyd, Guy Kinner, R. Randall

Pupils
1st Grade - Orland Blanchard, Mabel Kinner, Edna Memmer, Reinhold Memmer, Carl Schroeder, Martin Wolfrum

2nd Grade - Grace Kinner, Harold Schall, Mildred Setzer, Wilma Troeger

3rd Grade - Florence Blanchard, Esther Kinner, Ira Max

4th Grade - Ford Kinner, Helen Max

5th Grade - Edwin Eberle, Jacob Kinner, Albert Schall, Helen Troeger

6th Grade - Roy Max, Walter Max, Walter Troeger

7th Grade - Jessie Blanchard, Clarence Grossman, Helen Hohenberger, Tressa Kinner, Esther Schlotterbeck, Harey Schlotterbeck, Almeda Schroeder, Elmer Schroeder, Clara Troeger

8th Grade - Irvin Goller, Marjory Davis