Monday, January 22, 2024

World War I Series - Glen Crowe

 



Glen Crowe

Born in Edgerton, Ohio on March 18, 1888, according to his self-reported World War I Draft registration, he was the son of Lucius/Lewis and Viola Crowe. In the 1900 Federal Census, the family lived in Mark Township - Lewis, Viola "Ola", and five children, as well as the paternal grandfather, William Crowe, a widower at 72.

Glen's parents divorced in 1909, and Glen moved to Michigan with his father until his father passed away in 1914. In the meantime, his mother had remarried to Frank Breininger in June, 1909, and Glen went back to Ohio to live with mother and family near Hicksville.

At some point, Glen joined the workers on Lake Erie as a mariner, but his ultimate intent was to join the war overseas when it broke out.  The Escanada, Michigan, Daily Post reported on July 1, 1917, on Valentine Kowalski who joined the army and Glen Crow:

"One other man who applied, Glen Crow of Hicksville, Ohio, later changed his mind in order to remain as a wheelman on a boat in this port, until the captain of the vessel could obtain someone to take his place." He had filled in his draft registration in Hicksville on May 26, 1917.

So, it was March, 1918, when he reported into the Army at Camp Greene, North Carolina.  After basic training, he was assigned to Company A, 39th Infantry of the 4th Division. He and his comrades departed for France on May 10, 1918 from Jersey City, NJ,aboard the ship "Dante Aleghairi."

He was a responsible and valued soldier, as evidenced by his promotions.  His last promotion was to Corporal on August 21, 1918. Glen saw action at Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel and in the Meuse-Argonne.





He wrote letters home to his mother that were published in The Tribune (Hicksville, Ohio, on September 19, 1918, although they had been written in August.  From Glen, in his own words:

"GLEN CROWE WRITES TWO LETTERS FROM FRANCE

France, August 11, 1918
Mrs. Frank Breininger, Hicksville, Ohio

My dear mother and family,

I will try to write you again to let you know I am well and hope you are the same.
You may be getting my letters, but if you are writing, I am not getting them.  You do not know how much I would like to hear from you.  I only hope you received my letters for I wrote you so many of them.

Yesterday, I received a letter from Ludington, and she wrote July 18, and had not received any of my letters up to that time.  I suppose you read lots in the papers about the war and the great drive we are making.  I have had no rest since the 16th of July.  We have been going ever since, and no let up day or night, and I am so thankful God has spared me through it all.

I cannot tell you now what we went through, but when I return home again, I can tell you.  The Germans must be licked first, and we are the boys that can do it, and they know it by this time.  I have shown some of them myself.

Well, this is all I can tell you now.  Do you hear from Roy and how are all the girls?  I have written to Esther, but no answer.  How are Frank and the boys?  Will say goodbye to all with lots of love to you and grandma and uncle and Rinda Cook.
My address is:
Corp. Glen Crowe, Co. A, 39th Inf. via N.Y, AEF

----
August 21, 1918

My dear Mother and Family,

I will send you a few lines as I do not know if you are getting my letters or not as I don't hear from you.  I do not think you are getting them because I received a letter from Bridget and she wrote the 18th of July, and up to that time, she had not heard from me.

You do not know how I would like to hear from you all, and I know you are just as anxious to hear from me.  I am getting along all O.K., and I am wishing you all the same.

The whole bunch of us are very tired, but we are all ready for another Hun. We sure gave them an awful chase.  We kept on their heels a long time.  I suppose you read all about it in the papers.

I tried to do my part in that drive, and I think I did, for I have met the Germans face to face, and we had it man to man, and God was good to me for sparing me through it all.

You know that little testament that grandpa carried in the civil war, you gave me that morning I left you.  Well, I still have it.  I have lost everything I had but that little Bible and it has gone through battles in France, and I know God will spare me to bring me home again.

Well, Mother, I will leave you now, so will say goodbye with love to all.  Please write soon and send me a little candy or something good to eat.
Your son,
Glen Crowe"

Tragically, Corporal Glen Crowe died from wounds he received near Cuisy and Bois de Septsarges on September 28, 1918.  Later, the Colonel of the 39th Infantry would write to his mother, describing the situation of Glen's death. The letter appeared in The Tribune, Hicksville, on March 27, 1919:

"TELLS PARTICULARS OF THE DEATH OF GLEN CROWE

A.E.F., Germany, Feb. 15, 1919
Mrs. Frank Breininger, Hicksville, Ohio

My dear Mrs. Breininger,

No doubt you have received notification from the War Department of the death of your son, Corporal Glen Crowe, who was a member of Company A, 39th Infantry which regiment I have the honor to command.  I am very sorry that my duty connected with the campaigns and occupation of Germany have heretofore prevented me from writing you personally of the death of your son.

He was wounded while leading his squad in an attack on a machine gun nest at Mountfaucon Hill, September 26, 1918, and was taken to the hospital.  I have no further particulars at hand and regret that I cannot inform you of the place of burial.  That information will be obtained from the Graves Registration Bureau, A.E.F.

Your son was valued highly as a noncommissioned officer and soldier and was held in high esteem by his officers and men.

I sympathize with you deeply in the loss of your son, which is our loss as well, and hope that you will find consolation in a just pride at having contributed such a valuable soldier to a noble cause that the great victory we now have might be gained.

Most sincerely,
Colonel F. C. Bolles, 39th Infantry

In addition to the above, further notification has arrived that Glen, the young soldier in question, is buried in an American Military Cemetery at Les Placy, department of the Meuse, France, and that his grave is marked, and being well cared for."


"Hicksville flags waved at half mast again Tuesday for the third time since the war began in honor of another of its soldier lads who gave his life on French soil for his country, namely Glen Crowe, of Mark township, well known at this place. The government message arrived on Tuesday, conveying the sad news to his people, east of this village to whom the sympathy of the entire community is extended.  More details concerning his death will be awaited with interest as soon as the mails arrive from the point in which he was located in France."  The Tribune

His mother planned a memorial service to be held in the Methodist church, but it had to be cancelled and rescheduled later due to the influenza epidemic.

In July, 1921, his body was exhumed and sent on the ship, "Wheaton," for Hoboken, NJ.  Once arrived, it was transported and buried in Arlingon National Cemetery on July 25, 1921.



In Memoriam
Glen Crowe

Guest Blogger - Dan Hasch







No comments:

Post a Comment