Sunday, May 24, 2020

Peter Leithauser Visits the Old Country, 1900


When looking for a family's ancestral village, some of the best sources are immigration, naturalization and travel records (passports).  Peter Leithauser, according to his passport, came with his father to America in 1859 when Peter was eleven years old.  Peter was born in Stemwenden, Bavaria on October 31, 1847.  The passport below also includes a description of Peter, as he described himself.  


On the passport, Peter indicated his intention to visit Germany with Gust Gartner.  Peter took on the role of "special correspondent" for the Defiance Weekly Express, writing a summary of his trip for the newspaper.  The article appeared on July 19, 1900.

"FATHERLAND

ADAMS TOWNSHIP MAN WRITES OF HIS TRAVELS.

MUHLENRENTE, JULY 4, 1900

While leaving Defiance, you expressed your wishes that I might write you a few lines about my journey.  We left New York May 9 at 12 o'clock, noon.  Passed Sandy Hook at 2 o'clock.  We sailed on with good weather, but very cold.  The sea was rough, but no storm of note.

On June 18, 9:45 a.m., we passed the Bishop light house, the southwest point of England.  We landed on the 19th at 6 p.m. at Antwerpen.  There I stopped overnight.
Cologne Cathedral - 2020 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with ...
Cathedral dome at Cologne

Next morning I boarded the train for Cologne.  Remained there over night and took in the sights of the city and the cathedral, the dome of which is the most astonishing thing I have ever seen.  Also saw the River Rhine for the first time and a German torpedo boat. 

From there I went on to Binger Bridge where we could see the German National monument.  From there I went to Kaiserlautern.  Visited the city and went on to Lansthuhl, from there on to Steinwenden.  Arrived May 23 where I was born. 
 A half brother of mine is living there yet.  He is the father of Peter Doneyer, barber in East Defiance.  My coming was a surprise to my brother.  He knew I was coming that week,but he did not know me.  I was very warmly received.  There I visited the relatives and old friends. Left there June 2.

Munster clock
Went to Bexbach and called on my cousin, Jacob Denhard, and had a good old time with him and family.  Left there June 5, took the train to Saargemund from there to Strassburg, where staid one day and two nights.  There I met an old friend who was partner with me in my stateroom on the Friesland.  He showed me all over the city, which is very nice, but above all is that clock in the Munster church.


 When it strikes 12, the 12 apostles appear one after the other and salute Jesus in going by.  The rooster will crow three times.  There is a ball with map of the world which turns once in a year.  There is a model of the moon which appears at certain times, turns as noted in the almanac; it turns the same as the moon does.  The men who strikes the quarters and half hours appear one after the other.  On strikes the 1/4, the other 1/2, the other 3/4, the other four quarters.  That clock is the most wonderful thing I ever saw, and I don't think there is another man on earth now who could build a clock like that.  Every day at 12 o'clock the church is crowded with strangers.

From Strassburg I went to Basel where my niece, Stephania Cordelier is living.  She will be in mind of a number of persons in Defiance and about there.  She worked for Dr. Berchtold before his death.  Was well received at her house and felt myself at home.  She has been married for over a year and has a baby boy 6 weeks old.  She has a very good husband.  Left there after an 8 day stay and went to Constanz.  There I took a ship to Friedrichshafen; from there the train to Ravensburg.

And then I went in search of the relatives of my wife.  I found one sister and one brother and a number of cousins.  With one of these cousins I made my home.  His name was Joseph Muller.  He is a wealthy farmer with 150 acres of good land; has four horses and lots of nice cattle.  Am writing at his home.  I have still better times, have a horse and buggy when needed and my cousin went with me all over the country.  Here I have two nice rooms, a good bed with blanket covers.  I say this because all over Europe, they have their feather beds to cover, which I don't like.

Waldburg Castle - Wikipedia
Castle Waldburg

I have seen a good deal since I left home, and I think I have got the worth of my money.  I saw the falls of the Rhine, where the Rhine goes through a narrow space of rocks about twenty feet wide.  All along from Cologne, as far as I went, I saw nice country.  The finest sight in the country I had was the Castle Waldburg.

My cousin and I went there June 24th.  There they have a big field glass on the top of a building.  The view was grand.  We could see as far as Bavaria; almost all the snow capped mountains in Switzerland, the Bodensee and a lot of towns.

My eye is getting better now.  I went to the eye doctor yesterday again and he said there was no more danger and that I could leave, but my cousin would not take me to the city; he said I had to stay with him at least another day, and so I will leave tomorrow and go to Switzerland.  I will visit Mrs. Berchtold if I can find her.  

Peter Leithauser
On July 17 I expect to arrive at Basel again, and on the 23rd, I think I will start for Paris enroute home. I expect to go from Paris to Havre, from there to Southampton and London and after that I will board the St. Paul, August 4, at noon for New York.  From New York, I expect to visit cities in the United States enroute home.  I expect to be in Defiance, August 15th, if possible.

Please ask Dr. Westrick how he is coming on with the ten pills I sent him.

Yours truly,
PETER LEITHAUSER"




 

No comments:

Post a Comment