This undated article discussed the Wabash Cannon Ball Five, a bowling team in Defiance.
Mr. Tuttle wrote: "THERE IS a song entitled 'Wabash Cannon Ball.'" There is also a train known as the 'Wabash Cannon Ball' that runs on a part of the old Wabash Railroad. Once there was a bowling team in Defiance known as the 'Wabash Cannon Ball Five.'
This picture, taken back in the 1920's, is of that team. It is composed of men who worked for the Wabash and bowled together in a league at the alleys owned by Julius Weber, 118 Clinton St., in the building now occupied by the Lorenzen's Furniture. If you go back far enough, they could have bowled at the Pete Zenz alleys which were located in a building where Bob Zenz now operates The Heritage House, Clinton and Fourth Sts.
JULIUS Weber also had an alley in a big red barn at Second and Perry Sts. which has been replaced by a building now occupied as a printing shop and warehouse by the Blue Crown Spark Plug Co. The Gray and White Co. erected the building. It was then that Weber moved to 118 Clinton St.
In the picture are: from left, back row, Roy Weber and Harry (Sweeney) Myers; and in front row, Joe Beez, Ed Williams - captain, and Claude (Red) McMillen.
The picture was submitted by Gene Williams, 2109 Shawnee Drive."
|Kunz Bowling Alley c. 1911|