Saturday, July 4, 2015

Jacob Coy, the Statement of an Early Settler of Defiance County

This article is jam-packed with potential genealogical help.  Even though we can't always count on a person's memory or a newspaper article for actual facts, what is presented here could be very good leads for further research.

Biographical Sketch of Jacob Coy

"Jacob Coy came to Defiance Co, then Williams Co. on the 18th of Sept. 1831.  He entered the land on which the present Town of Evansport now stands & also Replogle's big bottom - 139 acres in all.  

Jacob: 'This was State Land and I entered it on April 1831.  Myself, John Snider, Jacob Hall and Adam Coy (my brother) came in April of 1831, located and entered our lands, and we all moved our families here in the fall of 1831.  Snider entered the land where he now lives.  Hall entered the land where Thomas Rethmell now lives.  

My mother's family, at the time of my removal here, consisted of my Mother (died at the age of about 83 or 84), myself, (one) sister and two Bros.  My mother (Mary Coy) entered the land where Chas. Skimmer now lives.  My father (John Coy) was born in Beaver Co., Pa. in 1787, died in Greene Co., Ohio, Beaver Creek Twp, about 1827.  Was about 40 years old when he died (was a German).  My mother's married name was Mary Jones.  She was born on Red-Stone River, Ky., in 1789, died at Evansport, O.  Her nationality was Scotch Welsh.  Her father was a Welchman and her mother was a Scotchwoman (the largest woman I ever saw).

My Grand-parents on my father's side both came from Germany - they were high dutch.  My Grand-father's first name was Jacob.  I was named after him - his father died in Germany and his mother died at sea when on the way to this country.  The Captain of the boat claimed the passages was not paid & my Grandfather and Grandmother (who were children in different vessels) were sold to pay their passages.  My Grand-father died in Beaver Creek Tp., Greene Co., O. at the age of 102 yrs. 4 mo. and 18 days.  My Grand-Mother died at the same place at about the age of 100 yrs.  I can't tell exactly.  They lived together as man and wife about 75 years.

My Grand-mother's first name was Susana, but I can't tell the surname.  They both belonged to the German Reformed Church.  My Grand-father made a will dividing his lands equally between his children.  Most of his land was deeded to children before he died.

My father's family consisted of ten children - two died in infancy.  The remaining eight are as follows - 1st Susana Coy, Eldest of family - 2 Jacob Coy - 3 Adam Coy - 4 John Coy - 5 Caleb Coy -6 Nancy Ann Coy - 7 Andrew Coy - 8 Mary Coy.  My father and mother were married in Sugar Creek Twp., Greene Co., O.  Can't give date of marriage.

Jacob Coy family - Was married to Mary Ann Schenk in Beavercreek Twp., Greene Co., O. on the 7th Jany 1829 and moved to Defiance Co., then Williams, in 1831. (September 18)  When we moved here we had one child, a son, 7 mo. old named John W. Coy.  We settled on the land on which Evansport now stands.  We raised a family of 13 children.  I was married in my 23 year.  My wife in her 19 year.  I was born Feby 20th, 1807.  My wife was born Aug. 19, 1811.'

This statement was made by Jacob Coy and written by myself and read over to said Coy after all was written on the 24th day of May A.D. 1881 at my office in the town of Defiance, O.  (signed, John P. Cameron)

The object of this statement was to obtain a statement of one of the early pioneers of this county together with a brief history of his ancestry and descendants.   JPC

At the time of this statement Mr. Coy was in his 75th year of his age."

 (from The Coy Family by Jean Coy Bartholomew and republished in the "Yesteryears Trails", the newsletter of DCGS, Summer 1982, Vol. 1, No. 3) 

www.findagrave.com   Evansport Cemetery




"Death of Jacob Coy
Defiance County Pioneer Suddenly Called to His Reward

Jacob Coy, father of Councilman D. W. Coy and Dr. M. C. Coy, of this city, died at his home in Williams County, one mile northwest of Evansport at 6:30 o'clock, Thursday evening, December 9.  Had he lived until next March, he would have been 91 years of age.
Mr. Coy passed away suddenly of heart failure.  He ate his supper in his usual good health, but soon after began to smother and in half an hour was dead.

The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at the Evansport M. E. church.  Deceased had been a member of that church since he was 23 years old.  

Mr. Coy was a pioneer of Defiance county.  He was one of a family of eight brothers and sisters who located in Defiance county in 1831 and was the last one to die.  When he came to Defiance county, he entered land from the government on part of which the town of Evansport now stands and also what is now known as the Replogle farm.  Himself and Albert G. and Amos Evans laid out the town of Evansport.  He engaged in the flour and saw mill business for a number of years in partnership with his brother, John, and John Snider.

Later, in 1859, he bought the farm where he resided until he died, a 300 acre tract which is now one of the nicest farms in this section of country, disposing of his Evansport property.  When he bought it, it was nearly all covered with woods, which himself and sons cleared away.  

He was a lifelong Democrat, having cast his first vote for Andrew Jackson for President.  He married Mary Ann Shanks, who preceded him to the grave 11 years.  He leaves eight living children: Abe, Martin C., Mary Fager, Alvaro, Martha Johnson, Daniel W., Clint and Isaac."

(Defiance Democrat, December 16, 1897) 


No comments:

Post a Comment